About BBC Maestro
BBC Maestro is a service provided by Maestro Media in partnership with BBC Studios, on a mission to revolutionise the way we fuel our creative dreams and ambitions.
We are an educational service crafted to give our learners the techniques, tools, confidence and inspiration to ignite their passion and develop fundamental skills in different aspirational subjects. Some of the most experienced creators in the world teach our courses in simple steps.
Following a successful launch with Marco Pierre White, David Walliams, Gary Barlow and Jed Mercurio, we are scaling quickly. We’re bringing in new exciting celebrity talent, building better technology, developing a deeper and richer experience, and creating a world-class offering, team and service.
About the role
As an SME business with an expanding global customer base, we want to set strong foundations for ambitious growth, enabling us to understand our customers, our business performance, make data driven decisions, react quickly and to provide the best user experience so that our offering continually delivers the desired impact.
As Data Engineer & Analyst you will be our first ‘data’ hire and will champion the data strategy and a data driven mindset across the organisation. You will ensure that we are organised, well documented, outcome-focused and modern in our approach to data management – including event tracking, reporting, analysis and modelling of data.
You will work closely with the Head of Engineering & CTO, the Chief Product Officer and other departments such as Leadership, Marketing and Finance. You will learn and understand the needs of the business and support the objectives of the team to provide an accurate and holistic view of the customer and business performance. You’ll initially be closely supported by the CTO and CPO and as the business grows we will hire more people to create a data team.
This is an incredible opportunity to set the direction of the data strategy and to be instrumental in setting the strong foundations of a data driven organisation with a great mission and the partnership of a globally renowned, reputable British brand.
You will report into our Chief Product Officer.
- Understand the data needs of the business to become an expert in each of our various data sources.
- Support product team in defining analytics requirements for new features and products.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to ensure data availability and accuracy for analysis and decision-making.
- Actively contribute to the data architecture and strategy and report this to the business when required.
Data Analysis and Data Science
- Provide analysis for Leadership decision making and Board Reporting.
- Support the exploration, interpretation and shared understanding of data with key stakeholders. Develop effective reporting cadence and set up tests where more complex data is required.
- Investigate data related anomalies, discrepancies and issues.
- Develop and maintain data visualisation systems and dashboards that report on key performance indicators
Engineering & Governance
- Define and implement Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) processes to move and transform data from our various sources into a consistent data model for analysis.
- Lead the creation and maintenance of platform user interaction tracking (data dictionary).
- Have accountability for GDPR compliance, liaising with our Data Protection Officer ensuring accurate management of RoPA.
- Design and manage data governance practices, including access controls, data privacy regulations, and data lineage documentation.
- Support creation and maintenance of testing strategies to ensure data accuracy and reliability, including unit testing and integration testing.
- Provide clear and comprehensive documentation for data related processes and workflows and provide training and support to relevant team members.
Core skills and knowledge
- Accomplished mathematician / statistician. A degree in maths/economics/ computer science/business related field would be advantageous.
- At least 3 years of work experience in a relevant role, with working knowledge of ETL tools, DBT, SQL, Python and Data Warehousing.
- Practical knowledge of modern Product-led organisations working practises, agile principles, outcome driven, customer centric design.
- Experience with subscription, video streaming and/or eCommerce businesses.
- Great interpersonal skills, with an empathetic ability to understand and solve customer problems (whether the internal team or our end-users).
- Excellent writing and communication skills, with the ability to clearly converse with colleagues and explain complex concepts in simple ways.
- Ability to use data effectively – capturing and interpreting key data points in order to learn and improve business outcomes.
- Great organisation skills, you can comfortably prioritise your work and manage colleagues' expectations accordingly.
- Understanding and experience of mar-tech platforms; Ads platforms, CRM tools etc.
- Experience of Data Governance practices and an understanding and interest in ensuring we handle data responsibly, ethically and sustainably.
- An ongoing interest in Data practices and tools and a ‘growth mindset’ when it comes to adapting to new and changing landscape
Attitude and preferences
- Attention to detail, organised and thorough.
- A positive can-do attitude with a desire to learn on the job.
- Product-Led mindset (considering outcomes over outputs, putting the customer at the heart of everything, chasing down business value).
- You are passionate about learning new things and research market trends. You enjoy sharing your knowledge and opinions with others and are an active participant in relevant communities.
- You are adaptable to the changing needs of a growing organisation and flex your approach to meet the needs of the business, stakeholders and new insights – capable of rolling up your sleeves as well as leading a team on a project.
- Familiarity with more progressive tools and systems. For data services we currently use Segment, FiveTran, Bigquery, Lookerstudio, Mixpanel and Klaviyo. For collaboration we use Microsoft systems, Miro, Asana and Slack.
Salary for the role is £50,000 - £60,000.
We also have 25 days holiday, plus public holidays and private medical cover.
How we work
We will provide a supportive and flexible working environment for the right candidate and set them up to succeed. You’ll have regular 121s with your manager and the opportunity to develop close relationships with leaders across the business.
We’re a young company and whilst we don’t yet have mature personal development programmes, we are careful to listen to the needs of our team and provide personal goals and objectives to support and challenge you in achieving your personal aspirations.
We encourage our team to engage in communities of practice and support your attendance of such events.
We have a London office 7 mins walk from Kings Cross station, and we encourage the team to work from here (dog friendly). However, many of our team are spread across the country and so we rely predominantly on hybrid working practices. We like to socialise and we aim to meet as a whole team at least twice a year.
We ❤️ Diversity
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We positively encourage applications from underrepresented groups.