About Apollo Agriculture:
Apollo Agriculture is the commercial farming platform that helps small-scale farmers maximize their profits. Apollo’s ML-powered credit models and automated operations technology unlock the massive, untapped small-scale farming market, starting in Kenya and Zambia. With optimized financing, high-quality farm products, and digital advice, Apollo farmers are already more than doubling their farm profitability. Apollo’s team brings together technology, credit and operations experience from The Climate Corporation (acquired for USD $1 Billion), Google, Capital One and One Acre Fund. We value evangelical pursuit of mission with a pragmatic approach, humility in the face of challenge, active discussion of disagreements, and considerate listening.
About The Role:
Apollo is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to help us change how farmers in Africa, starting with Kenya & Zambia, access credit, customized advice, and farm inputs at scale. You will work across all parts of our business to achieve these goals. This role is an opportunity for someone to take ownership of key data science products with support and coaching.
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Reporting Lines: This role reports to the Head of Data Science
- Provide statistical and analytical support to inform strategic business decisions and experimentation.
- Be involved in model development from an early stage to future-proof for production
- Establish a model baseline, address concept drift, and prototype how to develop, deploy, and continuously monitor/improve a productionized machine learning application
- Identify and help develop in-house microservices. These will be largely Python packages
- Use satellite, survey, and other data to better understand how our customers’ crops are growing and ways in which we can better support them.
- Use, contribute and improve the ML infrastructure built by the team to streamline model development
- Collaborate with engineers and product to transform data driven insights into finished scalable products
- Have strong technical skills regarding data analysis, statistics, machine learning and programming.
- Able to start with a simple algorithm, identify time and space complexities, and then modify it to work efficiently at scale
- Experience with building and deploying scalable machine learning models in Python.
- Able to confidently collect and curate data, ingest it, explore it, and clean it.
- Experience in using SQL/BigQuery/Snowflake to query and manipulate large data sets for analysis.
- Able to not only code in Python, but also maintain and refactor existing Python codebases
- Are driven to find new insights in data and pose new questions that help shape our business.
- Are analytically rigorous, but recognize when complete is better than perfect
- Are excited about the mission of transforming the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Are excited to spend time with our customers and learn from them.
- Know how to build end-to-end machine learning solutions to real-world problems, from building the model, to training and evaluating it, to iterating and deploying it for both batch and online predictions.
- Have experience with cloud platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Are a collaborative team of smart and ambitious people who are dedicated to serving our customers
- Make magic happen to solve hard problems and always come with solutions when challenges arise
- Are comfortable taking risks that can result in radical scale and understand that failures are opportunities to learn and improve
- Are considerate listeners and take the time to deeply understand and seek out ideas from the people around us, even when we disagree
- Offer a dynamic environment that fosters talent, collaboration, and growth
- Take pride in our work and share the responsibility to see it through from conception to deployment
- Back up our talk with a competitive compensation and benefits package and challenging projects
- Value autonomy, honesty, transparency, and respect
- Are excited to hear from you
Apollo Agriculture does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Apollo Agriculture is an equal opportunity/equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce.
Apollo Agriculture is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Apollo Agriculture does not charge money or any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process.