Senior Data Scientist, Sponsored Display, Amazon Ads
Nov 07, 2023
New York City, USA
About Amazon Advertising:
Amazon Advertising operates at the intersection of eCommerce and advertising, offering a rich array of digital display advertising solutions with the goal of helping our customers find and discover anything they want to buy. We help advertisers of all types to reach Amazon customers on Amazon.com, across our other owned and operated sites, on other high quality sites across the web, and on millions of Kindles, tablets, and mobile devices. We start with the customer and work backwards in everything we do, including advertising. If you’re interested in joining a rapidly growing team working to build a unique, world-class advertising group with a relentless focus on the customer, you’ve come to the right place.
About our team:
Sponsored Display (SD) is Amazon Advertising’s first self-service display advertising offering. It empowers any advertiser – regardless of budget size, advertising experience, or technical expertise – to set up display campaigns that show ads on key placements across Amazon websites and apps (Amazon.com, Twitch, IMDb), devices (Kindle, Fire Tablet, Fire TV, Echo), third party websites (e.g., nytimes.com) and mobile apps.
About this role:
As a Senior Data Scientist on this team you will:
- Lead Data Science solutions from beginning to end.
- Deliver with independence on challenging large-scale problems with complexity and ambiguity.
- Write code (Python, R, Scala, SQL, etc.) to obtain, manipulate, and analyze data.
- Build Machine Learning and statistical models to solve specific business problems.
- Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or improving system performance.
- Analyze historical data to identify trends and support optimal decision making.
- Apply statistical and machine learning knowledge to specific business problems and data.
- Formalize assumptions about how our systems should work, create statistical definitions of outliers, and develop methods to systematically identify outliers. Work out why such examples are outliers and define if any actions needed.
- Given anecdotes about anomalies or generate automatic scripts to define anomalies, deep dive to explain why they happen, and identify fixes.
- Build decision-making models and propose effective solutions for the business problems you define.
- Conduct written and verbal presentations to share insights to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
Impact and Career Growth: You will influence customer and advertiser experiences; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
New York, NY, USA
- 5+ years of data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.) experience
- 4+ years of data scientist experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 2+ years of data visualization using AWS QuickSight, Tableau, R Shiny, etc. experience
- Experience managing data pipelines
- Experience as a leader and mentor on a data science team
- Experience in data applications using large scale distributed systems (e.g., EMR, Spark, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Pig, and Hive)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $127,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $247,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.