Research Scientist, Fulfilled-by-Amazon (FBA)
Nov 11, 2023
Bellevue, Washington, USA
FBA Inventory team is looking for a Research Scientist with strong modeling and analytical skills to join our cross-domain science team of data scientists, applied scientists, research scientists, and economists. As a Research Scientist at FBA you will be responsible for designing and implementing cutting edge optimization models, building automated inventory management system, and collaborating with business and software teams to solve key challenges facing the worldwide FBA Seller business, including 1) building the next generation of Amazon’s low-cost storage solution and improving FBA Seller inventory efficiency, 2) balancing the supply and demand of FBA Seller capacity for a tiered network, and 3) driving out costs across the FBA supply chain to spin the flywheel. Unlike many companies who buy existing off-the-shelf planning systems, we are responsible for studying, designing, and building systems to suit Amazon’s needs. Our team members have an opportunity to be on the forefront of supply chain thought leadership by working on some of the most difficult problems in the industry with some of the best product managers, research scientists/statisticians/economists and software developers in the business.
Key job responsibilities
As a member of the science team, you will play an integral part in Amazon's FBA inventory management with the following technical and leadership responsibilities:
• Design, prototype, analyze, and improve models which are crucial components of our Seller inventory management systems
• Working closely with software development teams as well as business partners to integrate prototypes into production systems and ensure that models are implemented properly to meet business requirements and performance scalability requirements.
• Apply domain knowledge and business judgment to identify new opportunities and quantify the impact aligning research direction to business requirements and make the right judgment on research project prioritization
• Develop scalable mathematical models to derive optimal or near-optimal solutions to existing and new inventory planning challenges
• Advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive level decision makers
• Create policy evaluation methods to track the actual performance of devised solutions in production systems, identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to improve the solution with new features
A day in the life
In this role, you will be a technical expert with significant scope, impact, and high visibility. Your solutions may lead to billions of dollars impact on either the topline or the bottom line of Amazon business. You will closely work with Product Managers, Software Engineers, and other Scientists, to deeply understand FBA Seller business problems and priorities. You will lead and solve real-world large inventory problems with millions of unique products involving hundreds of thousands of Selling Partners and tens of millions of customers around the world. You will analyze large amounts of business data, define new metrics and business cases, design simulations and experiments, develop scientific, and collaborate with teammates in business, software, and research. The successful candidate will have a strong quantitative background and can thrive in an environment that leverages statistics, machine learning, operations research, econometrics, and business analysis. A solid research experience in Operations Research preferably with focus on Operations Management or other closely related areas. They will lead the research where we are responsible for developing solutions to better manage and optimize worldwide FBA inventory capacity, while providing the best experience to our Sellers to growth their business. We are seeking someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy and fun work environment where we deliver value incrementally and frequently. We value highly technical people who know their subject matter deeply and are willing to learn new areas. We look for individuals who know how to deliver business impact and show a desire to develop themselves, their colleagues, and their career.
About the team
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service that allows sellers to outsource order fulfillment to Amazon, allowing sellers to leverage Amazon’s world-class facilities to provide customers Prime delivery promise. Sellers gain access to Prime members worldwide, see their sales lift, and are free to focus their time and resources on what they do best while Amazon manages fulfillment. Over the last several years, sellers have enjoyed strong business growth with FBA shipping more than half of all products offered by Amazon. FBA focuses on helping sellers with automating and optimizing the third-party supply chain. FBA sellers leverage Amazon’s expertise in machine learning, optimization, data analytics, econometrics, and market design to deliver the best inventory management experience to sellers. We work full-stack, from foundational backend systems to future-forward user interfaces. Our culture is centered on rapid prototyping, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bellevue, WA, USA
- PhD in operations research, management science, statistics, engineering, mathematics, or computer science and 4+ years of related work experience.
- Build quantitative mathematical models to represent a wide range of supply chain, transportation and logistics systems.
- Ability to develop system prototypes.
- Perform quantitative, economic, and numerical analysis of the performance of these systems under uncertainty using statistical and optimization tools such as Python, R and XPRESS to find both exact and heuristic solution strategies for optimization problems
- Apply theories of mathematical optimization, including linear programming, combinatorial optimization, integer programming, dynamic programming, network flows and algorithms to design optimal or near optimal solution methodologies to be used by in-house decision support tools and software.
- Proficiency working with Python, SQL and/or C/C++.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with technical and business teams; ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience. The ideal candidate can present business cases and document the models and analysis and present the results in order to influence important decisions
- In depth familiarity with the literature and practice of operations management, supply chain management, inventory management, revenue management, forecasting, and/or logistics
- Prior well-established recognized academic experience, multiple publications in top-tier academic journals Programming experience using at least one modern programming language such as Python, Java, or C++
- Proficiency in model development, model validation and model implementation for large-scale applications
- Experience with developing prototypes by manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $124,100/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.