Applied Scientist, AWS Marketing
Nov 09, 2023
Vancouver, British Columbia, CAN
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is building a world-class marketing organization, and we are looking for an Applied Scientist to join Marketing Data: Science & Engineering (D:SE) organization to lead AWS Measurement, targeting, recommendation, forecasting related AI/ML products and initiatives across AWS Marketing, and own mechanisms to raise the science and measurement standard in AWS Marketing. As a leader of the Marketing Data: Science & Engineering (D:SE) team you will work with economists, scientists and engineers within the team, and partner with other science, economics, product and business teams across AWS Marketing to build the next generation marketing measurement, valuation and machine learning capabilities directly leading to improvements in our key performance metrics.
We’re looking for a passionate, results-oriented, and inventive Applied Scientist who can create and improve AI/ML models for AWS marketing stakeholders. You will work closely with our scientists, economists and software engineers to disambiguate marketing problems and create genAI/ML solutions to solve those problems at scale. You will directly impact our direct customers, and even play with big data and incredible scale in the background.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
* You will lead the design, development, deployment, and innovation of advanced science models in the strategic area of gen AI, customer targeting and content ranking to drive business impact and improve customer experience
* You will partner with scientists, economists, engineers, and product leaders to break down complex business problems into quantitative approaches to be solved with the vast amount of available Amazon data
* You will provide engineering guidance on the scalability and reliability for large-scale optimization systems in a production environment
* You have written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership with varying level of technical sophistication
* You are passionate to continuously learn and apply the latest best practices in literature and industry to address the evolving business requirements
* You will influence organizations’s long-term science initiatives, and mentor other scientists in AWS
About the team
We refuse to accept constraints, internal or external, and have a strong bias for action. We love data and believe that we can use it to deliver epic experiences for our millions of prospect customers. We work across all areas of AWS Marketing including core marketing data solutions, insights and reporting, targeting and personalization, measurement, and the operational systems to support each of these areas. As a multi-functional team of experts, we deliver scaled solutions that are used globally across AWS Marketing.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Vancouver, BC, CAN
- 3+ years of building models for business application experience
- PhD, or Master's degree and 4+ years of CS, CE, ML or related field experience
- Experience in patents or publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- Experience in any of the following areas: algorithms and data structures, parsing, numerical optimization, data mining, parallel and distributed computing, high-performance computing
- Experience using Unix/Linux
- Experience in professional software development
- Experience with popular deep learning frameworks such as MxNet and Tensor Flow
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
The base salary for this position ranges from $149,300/year up to $249,300/year. Salary is based on a number of factors and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.