Algolia uses data to support, empower, and amplify our R&D (product development), Marketing, Sales, Support, Finance, and other teams. We are actively looking for a Senior Director of Data & Analytics Engineering to play a multi-functional leadership role. You’ll be supervising and supporting the managers of the Data Engineering and Analytics Engineering teams. Your work will directly support and empower decentralized Data Analysts, Product Managers, and Data Scientists across the company, as well as operational data systems supporting almost every function at Algolia. By setting strategy, coordinating with other teams, and growing the skills, culture and processes of your teams, you will be a key leader as Algolia improves its data maturity and its ability to make rapid, confident data-informed decisions.
This role is responsible for functional area leadership and overseeing the day-to-day work activities of a department, division, or managing a product. Leads and manages employees within a department or division. They have significant impact on the achievement of the Company's goals and objectives. They interact with senior leadership, management-level employees and/our major clients. Interactions regularly involve skills such as negotiating, consulting, influencing, or advising. Typically reports to a Senior Vice President or Vice President.
We are open to candidates with a range of experiences and backgrounds. Please apply if you’re excited about the role and are confident you could excel, even if you don’t check every box.
What You’ll Do
- Help the teams prioritize, plan, develop, and ship code that moves business-critical data between systems, and represents the entities and metrics that Algolia cares about.
- Coach and mentor both managers and individual contributors so that they excel at their work and grow in their skills and careers.
- Hire and onboard Data Engineers, Analytics Engineers, and managers, to build a diverse, inclusive and high-functioning team.
- Be a culture advocate within the company, living by our core values.
- Help the teams grow their processes, cultures, and technical capabilities.
- Provide training, leadership and mentoring to data professionals across the company, to support data literacy and good data practices.
- Help provide context to the teams, so that they have a consistent view of the business and business priorities.
- Provide technical input, as needed, to ensure that the teams build sustainable, maintainable, well-designed systems that anticipate future needs.
- Ensure that the teams prioritize work to ensure data reliability, quality, and governance.
- Represent the data teams to executive leadership, providing visibility on data quality, and facilitating conversations across the company.
What You’ll Bring
- Deep interest in people and mentoring. Capable of supervising employees ranging from junior roles to management. Likely 7 years or more of experience in management.
- A management style based on empowerment, trust, and collaboration.
- Substantial hands-on experience in Data Analytics, Analytics Engineering, or Data Engineering roles. Likely 10 years or more of experience in these and related areas.
- A passion for data quality and systems and data design. A curiosity about the best ways for teams and systems to succeed and grow.
- Fluency in translating between business questions and technical requirements. Experience with product management, including stakeholder management, synthesis of varying points of view into clear documents, and ROI estimation.
- Proven track record of rolling out and establishing scalable data and analytics platforms (we use tools such as Redshift, dbt, ThoughtSpot, and more) with terabyte scale data.
- Expertise with software development including web development, databases, programming best practices, and agile methodologies.
- Comfortable guiding technical team discussions regarding software architecture and data warehouse design.
- Ability to provide supportive review and feedback to team members’ proposals, technical designs, and code reviews in SQL and Python.
- Strong awareness of the modern data stack and the current state of the data industry.
10 years of data-related work experience, 5+ years of management, and expert-level technical knowledge of data warehousing and data analysis in the modern data stack, including dbt and BI tools.
Requires the ability to understand complex software systems, read code (Python, SQL, and other languages), and interface with technical engineering teams.
Requires the ability to write SQL at an expert level, acting as a proxy for our analyst stakeholders, and providing feedback to the teams on technical requirements.
Requires the ability to become an expert in our user-facing tools (Hex, ThoughtSpot, Atlan), and to train others.
Responsibilities include eliciting stakeholder requirements with a strong understanding of underlying technology and design, and ensuring that both teams have strong, aligned roadmaps, and are building towards the long-term goals of Algolia.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients, and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia is committed to providing Equal Opportunities in Employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, military status, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The annual base salary range for this role in New York City reflects US market pay data within this location. The base pay offered for this role may vary depending on job-related knowledge, technical skills, and experience; and is only one part of our Total Rewards philosophy to compensate and recognize employees for their work. There are 5 total compensation elements: Cash: Base Salary + Bonus or Commission, Equity, Benefits & Perks, and Experience. Algolia provides comprehensive employee Benefits including: health insurance, life and AD&D insurance, a retirement investment plan, flexible paid time off.
New York City Pay Range
Algolia’s flexible workplace model is designed to empower all Algolians to fulfill our mission to power search and discovery with ease. We place an emphasis on an individual’s impact, contribution, and output, over their physical location. Algolia is a high-trust environment and our team members have the autonomy to choose where they want to work and when. We know community comes in many forms and strive to create opportunities for intentional in-person connection in our offices and virtually for our remote colleagues around the world.
We have a global presence with physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Paris, London, Sydney and Bucharest.
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 17,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!