Pngme · Anywhere · Aug. 13, 2019
💰 $60,000 - $140,000 / yr
Data Scientist & Machine Learning Engineer
Pngme is on a mission to promote financial inclusion at the bottom of the pyramid using the latest machine learning and data science techniques coupled with blockchain technology.
Pngme is a mobile finance platform that connects lenders to borrowers in emerging markets using digital credit scoring. Targeting 200m financially constrained MSMEs (micro, small, and medium enterprises) businesses and entrepreneurs can access finance through our mobile app that features payments and interest-bearing savings accounts.
Pngme is developing a digital footprint credit scoring model, credit scoring API, and analytics platform to be used in our app and microfinance institutions world-wide.
Pngme is looking for a strong analytical thinker to join our core team as a data scientist and engineer. The individual will have excellent communication skills, enjoys working with data and is able to perform data analysis and cleaning, data pipeline automation, regression analysis, and modeling support with minimal guidance and work on building our commercial MVP. The ideal candidate for this position is to be able to integrate with the core team, be self-directed, and able to communicate effectively with our team in the US, Uruguay, and Nairobi.
In addition, the candidate will get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing company that affords the ability to shape the future of micro-lending while helping to alleviate poverty in all corners of the world. You will be an integral part of the decision-making process with the founding team and have the opportunity to travel to the parts of the world that we are working in. If you have the skills and the drive to make a global impact by driving financial inclusion, let's have a conversation. Before applying please read the following paper to get an understanding of the type of work we are focused on: https://184.108.40.206/bitstream/10216/106973/2/209525.pdf
1. Work directly with the founding team to design and build our commercial MVP credit score API for our mobile app and enterprise partners. Brainstorm obtainable data with the internal team and ensure that we receive as much data as we can for modeling through our mobile app and partner integrations. Perform a detailed review of all data for quality and completeness and acquire/merge/create training datasets for our models.
2. Work directly with our data science advisor to support modeling efforts and develop long term strategy.
3. Data Pipeline Automation – build and maintain the first version of our data pipeline automation system.
4. Maintain analytics database – Use automation to flag relevant exclusion of new data issues.
5. Use R or Python to perform data analysis and build AUC models
6. Market research – Look for additional data we can use for modeling
7. Present personal insights and suggestions to board of directors in monthly Data Science Committee Meetings with our data science advisor
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant technical field (Statistics, Math, Data Science, Computer Science, Physics, Quantitative Finance, etc.). With thesis or published work, a plus
2. 1+ years of professional experience in data wrangling and data analysis with real-world data
3. 2+ years of experience with data mining, data visualization and statistical modeling using R or Python
4. Experience in building machine learning models
5. High proficiency in Python and R (Pandas, Numpy, List comprehension) for data wrangling and model testing
6. Proficiency in SQL and experience working with SQL databases
7. Experience with Spark, Hadoop, and NoSQL Databases is a plus
8. Quick learner that thrives in fast-paced environment of growing startup and wants to be a core contributor to an early team
9. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
10. Remote work ok!